Earlier this month, Facebook and its associated platforms, like Instagram, crashed for almost an entire workday. With over three million businesses worldwide using Facebook for paid advertising (and many other companies using it to connect organically with their target audiences), the social media shutdown made an impact across industries.
While there is enormous value in social media marketing and GRIT recommends companies strategically select platforms to engage with their consumers, it is important not to depend on one marketing medium. If these platforms crash, like Facebook and Instagram did, having other ways to connect with consumers will be key. Some of the obvious alternative marketing methods may include e-mail marketing, blog writing, creative advertising, and more. But one medium many companies do not consider is direct mail marketing because they question the value. So, today we are answering a common question – is there still value in direct mail marketing?
Yes, Direct Mail Marketing Is Still Valuable!
In 1923, it became required for all households to have mailboxes. Since this time, individuals have become reliant on their mailboxes to send and receive letters from friends and family, bills and other financial documents, as well as marketing materials from local and national businesses. In fact, according to Modern Postcard, 98% of consumers bring in their mail the day it is delivered.
Since the invention of the internet and digital marketing, direct mail usage has decreased, with many questioning its effectiveness. By using a house list or purchased mailing list, direct mail marketing can still be an impactful way to reach both current and prospective customers with a specific message. Direct mail allows for endless creativity (which helps brands stand out from the competition) and can feel more personal to the recipient. To demonstrate the effectiveness and value of direct mail marketing in 2021, check out these staggering stats from Neil Patel and Maddie Shepard.
- Direct mail marketing has a return on investment (ROI) of 29%. This is comparable to social media marketing, which has a ROI of 30%.
- 43% of consumers say they find digital ads invasive. On the other hand, 73% of individuals say they prefer direct mail as an advertising method. This shows direct mail resonates better with consumers.
- About 66% of consumers have purchased a product or service because of direct mail. For digital advertising, the group most likely to purchase a product or service through digital ads are those ages 18 to 29, and still only 49% make a purchase.
- 70% of consumers say direct mail is more personal than digital advertising.
- Direct mail open rates can reach up to 90% compared to the median 17.38% for email marketing.
With a detailed customer list or purchased mailing list, direct mail marketing can be targeted to a narrow target segment, just like paid social media ads. Additionally, through unique key codes on each direct mail piece (i.e., specific phone number, website URL, redemption code, etc.) the success of each piece can be easily tracked.
There is still value in direct mail and using this marketing tactic in conjunction with digital advertising, such as social media marketing, can allow brands to further connect with their target audiences, build loyal relationships, and ultimately see a positive impact on their bottom line.
Direct Mail Marketing in Action
At GRIT, our creative advertising team has years of experience developing and designing successful direct mail campaigns. From a dartboard-themed mailer to a Hot Wheels® car campaign, we dig deeper to help our clients leave a lasting impression on their consumers. View and learn more about some of our most notable direct mail projects today!
- Mowery Construction – Auto Dealership Campaign Development
- Listrak – Client Welcome Mailer
- Listrak – Dartboard Mailer
Need Direct Mail Marketing Support?
Is your business considering a direct mail marketing campaign but is not sure where to start? Reach out to our team today to learn how direct mail marketing can help your brand connect with consumers and support your overall business objectives. We can’t wait to hear from you!